It is a joyous feeling to be around a well trained dog. Trained dogs are very sociable. In addition to that, they are also at a lesser risk of biting since they do not jump up on people. Even in environments which are very distracting, these trained dogs stay calm.
Some dogs are abandoned in the pound. As opposed to that, dogs which are well trained have the possibility of staying with the same owner. Journal of the American veterinary medical association conducted a research and found that training was not given to 96% of the shelter dogs.
Boundaries can be taught to the dogs through training and hence you can help them to be more comfortable when they are around human beings. There are lots of professionals who train dogs and there are different variety of programs to train the dogs. However, if a person possesses business card, it does not mean that they are qualified to train your dogs.
In order to find a good dog trainer, enquire your family and friends because they might know a trainer who is good. You can also ask the owners of the dog while you take your dog out for a walk. They might recommend you a good one. After finding a good trainer, discuss with them about the training method they intent to teach. Numerous dog training methods have been developed over the years and some have been in and some have been out of fashion. Question the trainer about the method of training they use, what are its benefits, and why are they using that method. You can ask for references also.
You can choose to find a training professional for your dog or you can train by yourself. But the important thing is to teach your dog socializing and commands.
Areas to cover in training include:
- Socializing to a stranger: This is very easy to do since you can introduce them to others while you take your dog out for a walk around your neighborhood.
- Socializing with the other dogs: This can be easily accomplished in classes for dog training, dog parks are also better places for this.
- Steady pace leash walking: As soon as you get a new dog, you can start training on this.
- Crate training: Since there are times when dogs need to stay in kennels for a longer time, it is important to teach your dog tolerance to stay in this environment for hours together.
- Sit command: The first command that the new owners of the dog teach them is this.
- The stand/down command: The stand and down commands can help your dog in developing boundaries.
- Stay command: If you take your dog in an environment which has a lot of distractions, this command is very important. Your dog should master this command.
You have a lot of potential benefits if you have a dog which is well trained. But, down the road, even a well trained dog can develop behavioral problems such as separation anxiety. It gives a nice feeling to be around a well trained dog and training helps in strengthening the bond between humans and animals.